A friend of mine is returning to Florence for a visit soon and asked where she could change her new baby in the center. This is an especially good question now that the Prenatal store near Piazza Repubblica has closed its doors. That's where I went every time I visited the center with baby Peanut. They had this wonderful room at the back where you could change your baby and sit down to nurse in privacy. I honestly couldn't think of another public place with a change table inside the city walls (and therefore not Ikea or the airport). I asked my sister-in-law and the only one she could come up with was the McDonald's on Via Cavour! Yikes. So I put out the call to fellow Florence mums and this is the list they helped me come up with:
- Interestingly, Piazza Repubblica remains a good area around which to plan your visit. In a pinch you can act like a local by whipping out your change mat (the absolute number #1 baby item to carry with you in Florence) and using it on one of the benches in the square. You can go a bit more upscale and either use the padded bench in the bathroom of the Hard Rock Cafe or its handicapped bathroom, which has an actual change table and is also big enough for strollers. Finally, there is the top-floor bathroom of the Rinascente department store.
- The bathroom of Città del Sole, a beautiful kids' toy store on Via dello Studio.
- The kids' clothes department of the multi-floor Coin department store on Via dei Calzaiuoli.
- The spacious bathroom of the restaurant Quattro Leoni in Piazza della Passera.
- The lobby bathroom of any fancy-looking hotel, which may not have a change table, but usually has padded benches.
For more helpful hints, check out "Visiting Florence Italy with a Baby" over at La Vita e Bella blog.
Please let me know in the comments below if I've missed any!